Charlottesville Community Bikes
Charlottesville Community Bikes is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) bicycle shop that promotes environmentally-sound transportation, recycles bicycles, and makes cycling accessible.
We operate 5 core programs:
• Kids Bike Program: In partnership with local schools and nonprofits, we provide refurbished bicycles for children. We lead a youth biking club as part of the Southwood Boys & Girls Club’s summer programs.
• Referral Bike Program for Teens & Adults in Need: In partnership with over 20 local schools and nonprofits, we provide refurbished bicycles (plus helmets, lights, and locks) for teens and adults in need.
• Refurbished Bike and Repair Shop: We collect and refurbish bikes that would otherwise end up in the landfill. We restore and sell donated bikes and operate a full-service bicycle shop. Our shop serves as a revenue source for our free bike programs.
• Educational Programming: We organize inclusive group repair events where people from various backgrounds learn new skills and connect with others. In 2022, we launched a job training and mentorship program for teens from groups historically underrepresented in the cycling industry.
• Mobile Repair Clinics: We hold free bike repair clinics at community events in public and low-income housing communities, helping recipients access regular bike repair services.